Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Global Fusion Voices by Cyberwit.net

Global Fusion Voices

read & keep  Jan. 2012  VOL.1  No.1

The Retired Honorable Army Major 64
Born in Kingston Jamaica
 
1.Where are you from?
I was born in Kingston, Jamaica from a lineage of Scottish descendant that immigrated and settled in Westmoreland, Jamaica; however, I am now residing in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
2. Tell about where and how you were raised; you schooling etc?
I was raised by my biological parents Kenneth Spence and Olive Spence, both business Entrepreneurs. I attended All Saints High School and St. Luke’s Anglican Church, where I was baptized and confirmed. I was raised with my six brothers and two sisters. We were a closely-knitted team of siblings.
Upon graduation from high school, I attended The College of Art, Science and Technology in Jamaica where I started studying telecommunication engineering. I was later asked by one of my brothers to relocate to New York and assist him with his business operation. When I landed in New York it was freezing cold and snowing. That was my first encounter with the cold and the snow. While in New York I attended MidtownBusinessSchool and studied accounting. I obtained an undergraduate degree from the University of Maryland in business and management, and I also have graduate degrees from WebsterUniversity in St. Louis, Missouri, and WashburnUniversity in Topeka, Kansas.
3. What is or was your career or how did you earn a living?
I served twenty-five years in the United States Army. I first enlisted as a private with no rank. I was promoted to sergeant in three years; this was during the end of the Vietnam conflict. I had several breaks in service were I worked at different jobs. For example, I worked as a real estate consultant and tax consultant while attending the University of Maryland, where Icompleted the Reserved Officers Training Corps to become acommissioned officer in the military. I graduated as the Distinguished Military Graduate as was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant. I eventually retired in 1997 at the rank of major. While serving in the military I volunteered to become a Eucharist minister under the directions of the Episcopal Bishop of the Armed Forces. I also worked as an adjunct faculty member at various colleges at night to assist students in advancing their education.
4. Have you served your country in any way?
I have served in the United States Army for twenty-five years. I enlisted in the army as a private and retired as a major. Some of the units I served with as a paratrooper are as follows: 75th Airborne Rangers, 82nd Airborne Division, and 101st Airborne Division. I have held leadership position from that of a team leader, squad leader, platoon leader, company executive officer, company commander, battalion executive officer and acting battalion commander. During military service I served in Egypt, Israel, Germany, Korea, Panama, and various bases and places in America, such as Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, New Jersey, and Virginia just to name a few. I have also served in the field of law enforcement for approximately two years as a police officer during a break in my military service.
5. How long have you been and how did you come to be a member of the private members only Alliance?
I have been a member of the Alliance since its beginning. Prior to that, I was a member of Poetry and Passion. When the leadership separated I was asked to be the Prayer Chaplin for the Alliance. I accepted the position for several reasons: individuals need Christ in their lives; I am used to praying for people since childhood; I have a degree in Divinity from Faith Theological Seminary; I have served in the United States Army as a volunteered Eucharist Minister for many years, where I assisted solders with many issues in that capacity. After retiring from the military, I was licensed and ordained as a minister by the BaptistChurch, based on my training and experience.
6. Have you ever won anything or been awarded anything in life (include here our sites poetry logo’s achieved)?
I would need a book to answer this question. During my tour in the military I have received numerous awards, decorations and citations for exemplary service. As a student, I have also received various awards for studiousness. As a tax consultant, I have received various awards for excellent service. Here at theAlliance, I have received the Level-five Logo in the Stylist group and the Bard Logo. Regarding my books, I have won the Best Christian Poetry Award for the book, Trilogy Moments for the Mind, Body and Soul; and I have received the Publisher’s Best Seller Award for my latest book, The Awakened One Poetics. By the way, while on the Old Blue poetry site, I received the National Poet Laureate and corresponding National Reviewer awards; additionally, many of my poems were listed in the top-100 category. I also received the poetry ambassador award from the International Library of Poetry. I have also won the Platinum Expert Author Award from Ezine Articles for writing 100 Articles in 100 Dayswith 400 of more words, just to name a few.
7. How did your interest in writing poetry begin?
My interest in writing began as a child. I attended extracurricular activity schooling on the weekends in Jamaica where I studied math and English with my siblings. I started writing poetry which my mother developed in me. While in the military I wrote poetry more seriously. While there, I assisted many soldier with their poetry writing to loved ones back home. We then sprinkled cologne on the poetic pages before mailing, believe me, it worked wonders. When my mother passed away in 2003, I wrote my first book in her honor,
A Trilogy of Poetry, Prose and Thoughts for the Mind, Body and Soul. It helped me in dealing with the grief and agony of her passing.
8. Have you published any books or been featured in any?
I have published four book, A Trilogy of Poetry, Prose and Thoughts for the Mind Body and Soul (2005); Trilogy Moments for the Mind, Body and Soul(2006); The Awakened One Poetics (1st edition 2009); and, The Awakened One Poetics (2nd edition 2010). I have been featured in many books published by The International Library of Poetry, the Alliance, World Haiku Association, Taj Mahal Review, Harvest of New Millennium, and many others, including online sites, such as World of Poetry just to name a few.
9. Have you any preferred style of poetry that you like to write in?
Although I have invented seven poetic forms, I still love to write in all poetic forms and styles. Being opened to the world of poetry writing enhances one capability and ability to write. The more one writes the greater one will be able to write, thus, not limiting one’s ability for advancement. I have invented many styles, however, the Epulaeryu poetry invented by me is most in my heart.
10. If you could change anything in your own life what would it be…?
I wished if I had more time to spend with my children during my military service which spanned over quarter of a century.
They grew up so fast and the next thing you know that are off on their own. Now they are busy with their own kids; at least, I am enjoying my eight grandchildren.
11. What do you think of the alliance; is it a good place for writers/poets?
The Alliance is an awesome place for poets and writers. It fosters studiousness in each poet. It offers a variety of activities for poets to participate in, it’s not limiting, and it’s always developing new focus and the like. One of the most elevating things about the alliance is that it offers the poets and writers a medium for publication of their books, which is limited on a variety of sites.
12. If you could make a wish and have it come true what would it be?
This is a very interesting question. I would love to see hunger and hate eliminated from the world. I think this would save many from the judgment, especially when Christ returns to claim His world.
13. If you had the chance to live your life again what era would you like it to be in past or future and why?
I would love to be in the same era. Based on what I have acquired and the knowledge gained I would be able to make a greater impact on the world and my environment for the betterment of people.
14. Are there any special words of advice that you would like to see acted upon by the next generation?
I could think of many: seek Christ, stay away from street drugs, help each other to achieve, abide by God’s laws, do the best that there is to do in whatsoever one has to do, and set a positive example for others to follow.
15. What are the final words you would like to say to the reader?
Life is not static; it’s dynamic and keeps on moving like a river. Just don’t let it runs dry on you. Also find other tributaries or rivers for nourishment. Let it be a source of hope and inspiration for others to obtain their nourishment from and to base their lives on as an example to follow; but most of all put God first and all the desires will follow. To see all my books in detail please visit my websites
www.epulaeryu.org http://www.theawakenedonepoetics.com/
Thank you! for reading ... Blessings Joseph
Source: http://poetryalliance.hubpages.com/hub/The-Retired-Honorable-Army-Major


Special thanks to Joseph S. Spence, Sr. for his kind help in bringing the first issue.
For becoming a regular reader of Global Fusion Voices, write to
Dr. Karunesh Kumar Agrawal (Managing Editor) (Address below)
Published by Cyberwit.net
HIG 45, KAUSHAMBI KUNJ, KALINDIPURAM, ALLAHABAD - 211011 (U.P.) India
www.cyberwit.net Telephone: +(91) 9415091004 +(91) (532) 2552257 Email: info@cyberwit.net

No comments:

Post a Comment